Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving and Jacoby Miles

Six days ago, a fifteen-year-old gymnast named Jacoby Miles sustained a life-alerting injury at a local gymnastics gym. She fell off the bars doing a dismount she’d done hundreds of times, pinching her spinal cord and paralyzing her from the chest down. I haven’t stopped thinking of her since I heard about what happened. I had tears in my eyes watching the news video clip, and it’s probably for a number of reasons.

When I was fifteen, I torked my back doing a beam dismount I’d done hundreds of times. Five months later, I was diagnosed with a severe stress fracture in a vertebrae most people don’t have: the congenital abnormality of a 6th lumbar. It bored the living shit out of me, but I was out of the gym for ten months. I hated it. I didn’t want to sit still. I wanted to be in the gym, where I had friends and had a good time. I spent as much time hanging out there as the staff would allow, because for me it was the only place I felt like I fit in. As I went from agonizing back pain every day to feeling physically regular, mentally I was angry because the only thing I really loved to do, other than write, was taken away from me.

The injury never completely healed, but eventually after those ten boring-ass months of rehab I was able to come back. I went on to compete a few more years, eventually becoming a gymnastics coach, which I’ve been for fifteen years, and now I have a fifteen-year-old daughter who is a competitive level 7 gymnast.

Sometimes my back still hurts. It’s a signal of something I never knew how to do when I was a kid: stop. I used to just run through everything until I was so sore I couldn’t move, and as I’ve grown older I’ve had to learn how to slow down and listen to my body.

But I remember how often I cried and how sad I was without gymnastics, and that’s a huge part of why my heart goes out to Jacoby. According to the articles I’ve read, the doctors are saying it could take a miracle for her to walk again. As my mom said, “if anyone can do it, it’s a gymnast.” We’re strong and determined. I can’t imagine what it would have been like at fifteen to be injured so badly that I had to be in a wheelchair. It was enough hell at such a young age to go through rehabbing the injury I have. I can’t reconcile in my head what Jacoby’s experience will be like, but my heart most certainly goes with her on her journey.

As I’ve said, I've coached gymnastics in the Seattle area for fifteen years. If Jacoby had been one of the kids I’ve coached, or any of the kids on my daughter’s gymnastics team, I would be absolutely beside myself. My daughter’s recreational optional team has competed against Roach Gymnastics, Jacoby’s home gym. It’s horrifying enough to hear that such a rare accident as this even happened, but to have it happen locally, to a member of our gymnastics community, really brings reality home. It could be any of us, at any time. But hearing how many people have rallied behind Jacoby and her family, seeing how many news organizations are spreading her story far and wide, encouraging folks to give donations to the Miles family, is 50 shades of awesome. Tweets from American gymnastics royalty like Gabrielle Douglas, Nastia Liukin and Chellsie Memmel, and support from people all around the nation: it’s phenomenal. It reminds me that my little incestuous gymnastics community, where everyone knows everyone, is a part of a larger gymnastics community. And we stand together with our own.

It’s been an especially difficult few weeks for me personally. Without oversharing, I can tell you that no one died but it’s still been hard to get up in the morning. My own fifteen-year-old daughter sprained her ankle at a gymnastics competition, and the same week she also got a sinus infection. Small proverbial potatoes compared to Jacoby’s circumstances, and un-fucking believably hard to watch. We want our kids to be healthy and happy, and to have the things they want (within reason). To watch them in pain is nothing short of hell on earth. One of the things I’ve focused on, even as my life has become more complicated recently, is that my daughter’s injury and illness were not that bad. It was little more than an uncomfortable and temporary annoyance. The ankle turned out not to be as bad as we’d initially thought, and antibiotic knocked the sinus infection out for now. For that, I’ve been thanking my lucky fucking stars every day. While she dodged a bullet, another kid is taking one, and it breaks my heart.

I’m not going to end this post by spewing irritating platitudes about how everything happens for a reason. I remain unconvinced that it does. Some days you just feel like the universe is conspiring against you. Maybe it is, though I tend to think that the universe has bigger shit to deal with than most of our little lives. In any case, some things happen for no reason other than that they happen. And we get up the next day and move forward whether we feel good or not. It happens to all of us, in a myriad of different ways, every day.

So this Thanksgiving, instead of the usual “I’m thankful for my family and friends and God,” or whatever everyone’s 30 Days of Thankful on Facebook says, I remain thankful every day for a healthy kid, and to be a part of a gymnastics community that truly does take care of its own.

And I wish nothing but health and happiness for Jacoby, her family, and her teammates.

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.

For more information on how you may show support and make a donation to Jacoby's family visit www.goteamjacoby.com and show a little love this shopping season.

No comments:

Post a Comment