Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Drug Testing the Poor

I’m going to address something that’s been bothering me for some time. Last night I read an article in the New York Times informing readers that the state of Florida’s mandatory drug testing for those seeking public assistance hasn’t been effective in saving money, catching drug offenders, had an effect on the number of folks applying for assistance, and in fact has cost the state tens of thousands of dollars in just four months.

And yet, all over my Facebook page I read friends’ posts about how more states should do this, and that is what I’d like to talk about.

Being poor is not the free ride right-wing politicians and pundits will have people believe it is. In fact, it’s hell. I hate it. It’s a waking nightmare, and in addition to being depressing, difficult, and terrifying, sometimes unbearably so, poor people are called names. Freeloader, moocher, idiot, slut, and now we’re being told that somehow we must be poor because we’re spending all our money on drugs.

Pardon me, but fuck you. Fuck you for your sweeping and erroneous generalization. We’re not all crackheads any more than we are all sluts or freeloaders, and I resent the implication. Of course there are exceptions. I don’t think anyone would dispute that. But to lump all poor people together and shame them into having their privacy disturbed is not only shitty but is also being called unconstitutional.

And don’t give me that nonsense about how your employer makes you take a drug test. Boo-fuckin’-hoo. At least you're fortunate enough to have an employer. And, if I’m not mistaken, you chose to be employed by them. Purely anecdotal, but I’ve known plenty of people who have turned down jobs because they felt like mandatory drug testing is a violation of privacy. And, yes, I have made a series of miscalculations in my life that have resulted in my being poor, but that is a far cry from making a conscious decision to be poor. Your argument is invalid.

Think about all this for a minute. I’m not really expecting to change minds, but pause for a moment and let what I’ve said sink in, and think about the people in your life who are struggling just to stay afloat in this world before you post something that passes judgment on those of us who have had to ask for help. It's not fun. It's not a joke. We're not laughing at the taxpayers who help us out. If you pay attention you'll find that most people like me are humbled and grateful that our government does sometimes help people when they need it, because it's not easy out there. For anyone, I know that. Just think about it for a sec.

"The poor are there just to scare the shit out of the middle class."

George Carlin

2 comments: