Thursday, October 11, 2012

Night Time is the Right Time to Talk About the VP Debate

Election season is taxing on anyone who’s paying attention to it. If you’re reading, watching, tweeting it, you’re probably exhausted. Nevermind that having a day-to-day life that doesn’t include an IV drip of current events, partisan and otherwise, it’s easy to feel uninformed.

I didn’t watch the VP debates earlier tonight. I’m coming out of a cold medication fog and my daughter is entering one, so I spent the evening relaxing, making her some fall-time, Chinese-themed comfort food: egg drop soup and mango fried rice. And I feel uninformed. I also feel very comfortable in that. At least for the moment.

I would like to address one thing, though. From an outsider’s perspective, as someone who read the tweets, a browsed a few articles, laughed at a few graphics, and saw some varying Facebook status updates, my observations are purely anecdotal, but I’m going to put it out there anyway. My friends on the right thought Joe Biden was rude and smug. I can’t speak to that because I didn’t watch this evening, but I will say this:

Who cares?? When politicians on the right do it, the left gets all up in arms: when politicians on the left do it, the right gets all butt-hurt. It doesn’t make it right or wrong. It’s just kind of what it is, as they say. You don’t get to the top of the political ladder by not being a grand-standing yutz on at least some level, and sometimes that includes being snide and condescending and smarmy and pissy and rude. But when it’s your party it pisses me off and when it’s my party it pisses you off. I lean to the left, so of course I think it’s funny when a left-leaning politician schools a conservo, and I say “psh, whatever, what do you know,” so forth and so on when I feel like the mud is coming from stage right. I think at this saturation point, in the age of newer and newer new media, there’s a time to be outraged, or even just annoyed, and a time to say fuck it: whatever, dude. What the hell do you know, anyway, whoever-you-are??

And with that I bid you good night. NyQuil wishes and TheraFlu dreams, y’all.

No comments:

Post a Comment