Thursday, April 12, 2012

Boobfeeding as Controversy.

I’m going to come out on a subject that’s been around for a long time but seems to be making (yet another) resurgence in the news right now: breastfeeding. If you do it in public, you’re disgusting, and if you don’t do it at all, you’re irresponsible. Or at least that’s what I’m gathering. When I chose not to breastfeed my daughter, a lot of people criticized me, and they weren’t very nice about it. I stand here today to say that I made the right decision. I lost my pregnancy weight in 2 weeks (I shit you not) and went on to lose another 20 lbs in the following six months. It sounds like a pregnant woman’s dream, but it was another year before I found out why: I had PPD, and when some women get that depressed, they don’t eat. I wasn’t getting enough nutrition for myself, let alone another person. Imagine that. A young mother making a choice for her damn self that was good and things worked out okay. And if you do choose to breastfeed your child, which society seems to have joined some militant chapter of the La Leche League, you’d better do it in the privacy of your own home.

What.

The.

HELL??

A gal can’t win no matter what choice she makes.

So, ladies, I say FUCK ‘EM. I’m tired of hearing everyone else’s opinion on the subject. They’ve come for our vaginas AND our boobs. It’s time to either punch some throats or just say that: FUCK ‘EM.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. As a midwife and mother who nursed three of my own children, I support their right of mothers to breastfeed...discreetly...even in public. I also support their right to choose to NOT breastfeed if they would rather not. It is a matte of health and child-rearing philosophy...both of which should belong to the domain of each individual mother.
    Just my opinion.
    Blessings to you and your lovely daughter!

    ReplyDelete